Responsible for providing emergency response and medical coverage over a wide geographical area, an air ambulance provides the ability to respond quickly and the flexibility of being able to land almost anywhere. This is especially important if the area being covered is served by road infrastructure that requires long hours of transit in between towns and cities. These emergency services are also required to respond to non-medical events such as wild/bush fires. In Australia this is of particular importance, where the long distances between cities and towns means the only practical way to provide rapid emergency response is by helicopter.
GVH Aerospace has been supporting major Bell 412EP emergency services and special mission conversions since 1996. This include design, approval and manufacture of components for role conversions for various emergency services providers.
As the aeromedical mission requirements evolved and expanded to include other emergency services such as search and rescue and coastal surveillance, GVH Aerospace has innovated and evolved its products to suit the increasing sophistication of the mission. This includes designing and configuring the helicopters with a combination of some and all of the following equipment:
- Searchlights with collective controls
- Nightsun installations with slaved searchlights
- Medical interiors with double tier stretchers, medical cabinets and medical seating
- FLIR installation and operator controls
- NVG compatible lighting and instruments
- Emergency services and ambulance communication systems for command and control
- Stretcher loaders
- Medical cabin floors
- Neonatal transport systems
- Medical oxygen and suction systems
- Rappelling and hoisting modifications include winching stretchers and rescue strops
- Firefighting water buckets such as Bambi bucket
These modified helicopters have been in-service throughout Australia for the past 18 years and are continuing to save lives and properties.
© Photograph copyrighted to Nachoman-au, used under Creative Common Attribution Share-Aline license.